Sunday, June 7, 2015

The Tutorial - Part 3 Mokume Gane, Alcohol Inks and Translucent Polymer Clay



Thanks for sticking with me into this home stretch!


12.  What you want to do with your slices you have taken off your stack is figure out what background color you want to come through when the translucent clay is baked.   First thing I do is roll out, like in this case, a sheet of white polymer clay on a medium setting (6) on my pasta machine. Then, I arrange my slices on to that sheet, cover it as much as I can with all my slices.  Trim off the excess.  I then take me acrylic roller and lightly go over the sheet because I do not want a lot of distortion with added pressure. I just want to even out the slices in order to cut my pendants and earrings from it.





I am very curious to see just how this section will turned out once I have a piece baked!?


this section of my sheet equally intrigues me . . . will be interesting!

13.  As you can see from the images taken above here, I have some very interesting areas I want to capture a few pendants and earrings from.  Soooooo . . . let's do it!



14.  These are the shapes I am currently working with from templates I created myself and used my "mud" as the medium.  Now, you go, do, and be free to create yours!!!!  Meet ya' back!


Here are mine, from the above sections I was very interested in








 15. Don't forget to sign your pieces!


The Artist Formerly Known As, Marilyn






 16.  Ready to Bake.  Follow manufacturers directions for temperature and time.  Here is my setup and it has worked excellent from the prior pieces that have been shown here and other network websites.   First, I have a temp gauge for interior of oven, second I have foil on the baking rack itself third, 4x4 ceramic tile with parchment paper.  I place my pieces on that and then "tent" my pieces, just to add protection to the translucent as it bakes at higher temperatures. Try not to let your pieces over bake as soon as mine are ready, I pull them . . .


my setup for smaller pieces

 17.  Remove from the oven safely and have a bowl or pot of cold water with ice cubes ready to plunge your pieces into the icy water, and stop the process thus, the pieces discontinue to bake.

simple saucepan with ice water - you can see already how transparent the polymer clay baked






18.  Here are my finished pieces.  I have recently went down to a 300 grit wet/dry sandpaper to lightly sand the tops, then graduate to the finer grits - 1200 usually.  I buff these on my buffing wheel and apply lastly, a coat of triple thick glaze.  Done!





Thank you! And I hope you enjoyed working along side of me as we created some beautiful pieces with Polymer Clay, Translucent polymer clay, And Alcohol Inks using the Mokume Gane technique adapted for polymer clay. 

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Marilyn - very nice indeed!
    Thank you too for adding me to the FB group xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie! :D and Welcome! glad you decided to join us on FB :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thank you for sharing. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judy :D this is a very addictive technique once you get going!!! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the nice tutorial! I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bonjour marilyn,
    merci pour votre partage,vraiment!!
    je connais la façon de proceder du mokumé gané mais pas comme cela , et je cherchais depuis un moment , quelle etait la difference de certains modeles, je crois que grace a vous j ai trouvé et il me tarde d essayer!!
    MERCI ET A BIENTOT
    fabienne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Fabian! Je suis heureux que vous avez trouvé ce tutoriel utile. . . terrer heureux!

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for showing these tutorials from start to the finished product!!! I am a beginner with polymer clay and I found so many tutorials on how to make beautiful canes but, not what to do with them! This is the very best turtorial I have read and I have read alota!!! Thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete